Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumKlotzen: General DiscussionFor new members
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

For new members

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you feel like it, we would very much like to hear something about you - anything you would like to share.

Here's some ideas, but absolutely cover any things you would like to share.

Where are you from.

What do you do in free time.

What games do you play.

Your all-time favorite games.

How did you interest in ww2 started (assuming you are interested in it 🙂 ).

How did you hear about us.

What are you expectations about this forum.

Hope you will like it here 🙂

Regards,

Zoran

Guess it's time to start 🙂 .

I'm from Osijek, Croatia, currently living in Zagreb.

Currently all my free time is spent working on Klotzen, but I used to do all sorts of things. Chess, flying gliders and paraglides, hiking, basketball, football, and of course playing video games. There are much more, but I like to be a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, so probably not worth mentioning.

Currently playing Kingdom Come, as I was a backer. Before that I was playing Wasteland 2 and Mad Max. I mostly enjoy RPGs and strategies, but I try to stay away from the really good ones since I don't have the time anymore 🙂

As for the favourite all-timers the list would be very long so lets try to name a few.

C64: Storm across Europe, Elite, Pirates, Wings of Fury, Defender of the crown, Laser Squad, Kings Bounty

PC: X-Com, Civilization (all), Master of Magic, Panzer General, Panzer Corps,  Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Half Life,  Fallout 1/2, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Kings Bounty

As for my interest in ww2, I was born with it. From the time I could remember I was reading about wars and it never stopped. Making Klotzen was not much of a choice honestly :). Interesting thing, my grand-grand-grandfather was a gunsmith. Guess there is something in that saying "blood is not water" after all :).

I am hoping this and the Steam will be places where like-minded ww2 lovers will be able to discuss topics of interest and share thoughts, suggestions and ideas about Klotzen and ww2 in general.

I was born near Boston, but we live in Columbia, Missouri now.  Hopefully we'll be moving in about a year, back to the east.

Free time during the week is mostly computer games, but we like to travel on weekends (hiking, museums, etc.).  I also enjoy photographing historic buildings, and the Midwest is full of dying towns with nice buildings that will be gone in 10 or 20 years.  This tries the wife's patience, so I either have to go by myself, or find things she'll enjoy along the way.  Enjoy minor league baseball, and visiting wineries/breweries we find in our travels.

I have a pretty big library of games, but I leave most of them until the mood strikes.  Really enjoy Civ IV (BTS, with mods), Endless Space 2, Galactic Civilizations III, and Order of Battle.

All time favorites: X-Com, Master of Magic, Steel Panthers, Fighting Steel

I've been interested in WWII for longer than I can remember.  I don't know how I picked up the interest.  My grandfather was in the navy during the war, but he didn't talk about it at all, so it must have been something else.

Ran across a mention of your game on PC Gamer, and checked out the links they provided.

What do I expect?  Not sure, really.  I hope I can be helpful.

fastheinz has reacted to this post.
fastheinz

Thanks for the introductions Seth!

So it looks like the love for ww2 is in the DNA not upbringing :).

Such a shame we didn't drain more stories  from our grandfathers, but in my case I was too young to appreciate it, plus my grandfather -luckily - had an uneventful war in a bunker in Bosnia. If I connected the stories correctly, he was machine-gunning the dark 🙂 and never killed anyone. Went through quite an ordeal with Partisans after the war, but luckily went through it. And all this is just from a few sentences my father managed to get out of him. I wonder if your father could know more?

I read a great article about the "cursed" US destroyer that fired a live torpedo on a battleship Roosevelt was sailing on and the guy that was on it says that it was a lot of complicated tech and untrained 18-olds handling it and that there were interesting accidents/stories happening all of the time. So I bet you missed some really interesting ones, a shame.

I really appreciate that you are looking to help, we could really use it. Currently spreading the work will help the most, so if you could just let people know we are coming 🙂 So reddit or any forums or the like. Of course, I'm counting on you as a beta tester as well.

Also, if you have the PC Gamer link I would like to check if I was aware of it.

I actually found some articles he wrote after the war, and the 'war diary' of his sub.  He was a Lt., and operated the torpedo 'computer', which I assume was hardly what we'd call a computer.  He died before I was old enough to ask interesting questions, but I do have his commission, his midshipmen's certificate, and a painting of the sub hanging on my wall.  My mother's father died when she was an infant, and was not in the service.  He got pneumonia, and then heart failure.  His draft card went to 4F in a matter of months.

I had some great uncles who were in the infantry in Europe, and they refused to talk about it.  One had a Nazi flag he'd found hidden under a mattress in a hospital, and a sabre that he wouldn't say anything about.  The kind of things they saw, and had to do (I sure hope they didn't enjoy it.), I don't blame them.  I once visited a very talkative old man who had been in Italy, and during house-to-house fighting he had bayonetted a German in the neck.  He said the man was old enough to have been his father, and you could tell it still bothered him almost 60 years later.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to let people know about the game.  It actually was not PC Gamer, it was Rock, Paper, Shotgun, sorry.

This thing you wrote about a veteran from Italy got me thinking. I am always looking at it from the interesting story angle. But most of the "interesting" stories are just beautiful people getting killed horribly (no brainer I know). So from a history/historian angle, it's a shame your uncles didn't talk about and all those moments will be lost,  but likely it is better for them to be lost. Except for the sabre story :). BBC has a great site where I have read fantastic and thankfully not-so-bloody stories. Mostly.

This is an absolutely fantastic read, I wholeheartedly recommend it:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/reminiscences-of-a-german-world-war-ii-veteran-a-891462.html

I'm thinking it would be easy to get a history of the sub your grandfather had served on, there is a great site for U-boats, so it should be for US as well. I know US subs were instrumental in bringing Japan down, by far the best bang-for-bucks on the Pacific. But I think death rate was terrible, something like 22%

Rock Paper Shotgun? I am not familiar with any article regarding Klotzen there, so i would very much like to see it if you can find it.

Sorry, it's driving me crazy, but I cannot find the article.  It was just a brief mention in a roundup.  A few sentences and a link.  I have been through my browser history, and no luck.

For a more amusing war story:  My grandfather bought a watch just before he was posted to his sub.  He just got a cheap Timex, explaining to my grandmother that if anything happened to the sub, she wasn't getting the watch back anyway.  The Timex actually got passed down to my sister, who lost it somehow.

Another great uncle was in the merchant marine, and said V-J Day was one of the worst days of his life, because while he was at the huge celebration around Times Square, someone picked his pocket, and he lost his pay for the week or maybe month.

fastheinz has reacted to this post.
fastheinz

It was probably a Wargamer article?:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/wargaming-news-feb-16-2018/

Lol for the watch. i would have bought the expensive one. You know, if you survive you have a quality memorablia, and if you bite it bank balance is the least of my worries 🙂

As for the V-J day, at least we know SOMEONE was working on that day...

Any word on when we might start beta testing?

Quote from Seth on April 12, 2018, 5:14 pm

Any word on when we might start beta testing?

Hi Seth,

We are behind schedule unfortunately. There's just not enough of me sometimes.

The good news is we added two more programmers to the team and I am working on finishing maps so things are speeding up.

I hope we could have rough alpha in a month and if all goes well beta could start in two months, if we don't hit any delays.

Could be better but hopefully it is fast enough 🙂

Page 1 of 2Next